Ideal for. E-Bikes are ideal for when you want to ride further without fatigue. E-Bikes come with pedal assistance to make the climbs a breeze so you can be ready to carve up the downhill and then do it all again. If you want to ride more in less time, E-Bikes are perfect for you.
Ideal Terrain. E-Bikes come in all shapes and sizes, matching the genres described above. They are built to take on challenging downhills and hit bigger trail features with ease.
E-Bikes come with stiffer suspension, bigger brakes and strong wheels so they can ride through anything. The best bit is, you can turn around and ride back to the top with ease thanks to the motor providing assistance.
Ideal for. Riders who use their bike as a means of transportation to and from work, want to ride along the coast or rivers and do the daily chores on their bikes will love Urban Ebikes. If you are a rider who wants to replace their car with a bike, Urban E-Bikes will suit your needs. Bikes Online has an extensive range of Urban E-Bikes for sale now.
Ideal Terrain. Urban Electric Bikes are perfect for roads, sealed paths and gravel paths. Although they have slick tyres, light-alloy components and are designed for efficiency, they can still take a beating. Bikes Online range of Urban Electric Bikes are up to the beating that Darting through back alleys, skipping over potholes and jumping curbs on the way to your destination. Check out Bikes Online’s range of Urban E-Bikes for sale here.
A bicycle is a guaranteed eco-friendly transportation solution, but the daily city commute can get tiresome, especially if you're doing the same routine over and over. The best electric bike can improve your overall experience because you wouldn't have to pedal the whole way through, and you can let the motor run for you.
However, like all bikes, you must consider many aspects before clicking that add to cart button. Let's talk about the best electric bikes (e-bike), the limitations, considerations, advantages and disadvantages.
What are E-Bikes?
An e bike is a bicycle equipped with an electric engine, not to be confused with a motorcycle. It sounds simple enough, but you must familiarise yourself with various conditions, from local legislation to maintenance requirements and operational technicalities, before driving one
The bike should get power from a rechargeable battery mounted on the motor to be under the e bike category. Aside from that, Australia has restrictions and laws before allowing highway access for this particular bicycle type
These are some of the considerations before you buy electric bike for public road usage:
- A speed limit of 25 kmph.
- 250-watt motor or less without throttle. If a 250w has a throttle, it should only be at a maximum of 6 kmph (to aid in striding the bicycle).
- 200-watt motor or less for a bike with a throttle that allows non-pedalling operation.
Laws may change from time to time, so it's important to ask a professional before looking for electric bikes for sale. The law enforcers may classify 250-watt bikes as motorcycles with separate registration and operational requirements, so you must review the specifications thoroughly.
Best Electric Bikes in Australia
Most people would look at the functions before aesthetics when looking at ebikes for sale, and you may choose ones that aren't customised to your unique preferences. However, it would help to consider how it fits into your current lifestyle and how often you will use it.
An electric bike (e-bike) will help you save the environment and burn a few calories, but you should read up on the model you're planning to buy first.
These are the common considerations for e bikes:
The first and possibly the primary concern is what you plan to use the bike for. The purpose will dictate what kind of electric bikes you should buy. Bikes Online makes the selection process easier by providing a bike finder resource matching you to the best bike according to your everyday routine.
The best electric bikes with higher price points often have better specifications. For example, you can assume that $1,000 electric bicycles will have the same intricacies as $500 standard bikes with $500 for advanced parts like batteries, motors, etc.
When you buy an electric bicycle, choose a power rating below 250W, or you risk not being able to ride the bike on public roads. Higher power means you may need to register the bike.
The motors assist in pedalling the bike, and the placement determines their types. Here are the motor types of electric bike for sale to choose from:
- Mid-drive motor - attached to the bike's bottom bracket, so it's closer to the centre of gravity. The reaction to the pedal torque around the chainset allows it to assist in uphill rides. Easier to change the tire.
- Hub-motor - mounted on the front or back wheel. Been around longer, so it's the more reliable and affordable type. It's easier to operate even if you're a less-experienced rider.
The battery stores the electric charges for the motor to run, significantly determining the range, style and weight of the e bike. Therefore, you should decide whether you want to sacrifice price or performance.
These are the two battery types you'll find in the market:
- Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) - it's the same inexpensive battery type used for electric scooters. However, it is bulky and heavy, with a shorter lifespan of approximately 100 to 300 complete charges. Requires immediate charging and maintenance.
- Lithium with ion, manganese, polymer, etc. - an expensive, high capacity, lightweight with a longer life span of around three years or approximately 800 charges and riding range.
The controller lets the motor know when the bike should assist the rider. It is attached to the handlebar for easier usage. There are two controllers to choose from when you buy electric bike:
- Pedal-activated - This controller adjusts the electric assistance required upon pedalling without needing a throttle engaged.
- Throttle-based - This controller will activate the electric motor upon throttling.
Electric Bikes for Sale
You may be intimidated to buy electric bikes in Australia, especially with all the technical considerations from power rating to controller type. Whether you're going for an e-mountain for off-road adventures or an e-urban bicycle for the daily commute, you'll find high-quality electric bicycles at Bikes Online.